Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Made with Love

So Lilly Mae's birthday is coming up (in like a month) and I decided to go ahead and make her outfit for her cowgirl themed birthday. Lilly is really obsessed with horses and I love everything country so it worked out pretty good. At first I was going to do the typical cow print and red colored dress, but for Lilly turning two I wanted something softer. I knew I wanted a tutu but something different then the rest. After searching on Etsy, I found the "scrappy tutu." They were selling for like 40$ with shirt which is a good deal because it is time consuming but I wanted to make it for her myself. So I figured this might be helpful for those that are more hands on and need to save a little $$.





Materials 
1 yard of different style fabrics
Elastic Band
Iron on adhesive for fabric
Stencil or print out of what you want on shirt
Plan tee
Scissors

1st- Pick your fabric!
I went to Hancock and I think the sell them at Michael s now too. But its basically a 4 or 5 fabric patterns that blind in with each other for 9.99$. I think there half a yard each. But one pack of these was more then enough for a 2 year old. I also had extra for the shirt.
I added the lace to the color pallet I bought. 


2nd-Your Skirt
Size your elastic band and tie a knot. You can sew for extra support but the fabric will eventually cover it.
I used a paper towel roll to help support the tutu.




3rd-Sizing your fabric
Pick the length you want for tutu and cut. After I figured out my length for Lilly I just made a slight cut and ripped the rest. It gave a more distressed look.
 *should rip in a pretty straight line*

4th- Attach your fabric this is the easy part. Make loops and pull through


5th-Trim your tutu
I went back and cut all the fabric ends diagonal just to give a rugged look.


6th-  This was easy I just traced the number "2" off the computer and cut it out using left over fabric. I ironed it on using the fabric adhesive. You can go back with a sewing machine and stitch the outline for extra detail.

*Added rosettes to the headband instead of shirt*


Here is a website for the rosettes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuxxp_ETt4s


1 comment:

  1. This is great Megan! I am impressed! Cannot wait to see her cute little butt in it! omg 2 years old already...sniff sniff

    ReplyDelete